RAG travels to Africa for the first time, thanks to MTN Group. They will host our September conference at their impressive facilities in Johannesburg, South Africa. The conference is scheduled for Monday 4th and Tuesday 5th September. All talks will be given in English. Attendance will be free, but you should book your place as soon as possible, because we will need to limit the number of seats per organisation in order to ensure a balanced and diverse audience.
Our event will cover fraud management, revenue assurance, other kinds of business assurance, enterprise risk management, security and credit risk. Unlike other conferences we want to avoid promising speakers until we are confident they can take part, so we share the draft of our agendas as we keep adding new speakers to it. The following schedule provides the most complete picture of the confirmed presentations and panels so far. More are added all the time, so keep coming back for updates. Continue reading below for some description of the agenda’s highlights.
Conference Day One: Monday 4th September
- Jens Schulte-Bockum, MTN Group Chief Operating Officer, will welcome the audience to the conference.
- The opening keynote presentation will feature Anthony Sani, MTN Group’s Executive with responsibility for Revenue Assurance and Fraud Management. Anthony will be joined on stage by Danie Maritz of Moonshot Innovation.
- Anthony will then join a panel discussion with other leaders of RAFM within MTN, including Nixon Wampamba, Yuvi Rajha, Elgiva Sibisi, and Shane Fryer.
- Cassio Sampaio of Sandvine will give a keynote presentation about the emerging threats to the revenues earned from data services. His talk will cover hot topics like the streaming of pirate video.
- The world-famous CFCA Fraud Survey will be completed only a few weeks before the conference, and attendees will be amongst the first to learn the results. Jason Lane-Sellers of Mobileum will fly in to discuss which kinds of fraud are rising and falling in each region. Jason is the ideal person to explain the survey results because he was recently elected President of the CFCA.
- A panel of experts will discuss the latest fraud trends in Africa. Faaiq Davids of Telkom, Neural Technologies CCO Luke Taylor, and roaming and interconnect thought leader Stephen Ornadel of iconectiv will be amongst the panellists.
- Pedro Duque of WeDo Technologies will give a presentation about the ways social networks will influence how we approach revenue assurance and fraud management.
- Our panel on security will examine the connections between security weaknesses and financial loss. The panellists will include Simeon Coney, Chief Strategy Officer of AdaptiveMobile, and the session will be moderated by Dave Morrow.
Conference Day Two: Tuesday 5th September
- Dr. Güera Romo, Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering Management, will give a presentation that discusses the challenges involved in matching the development of human skills to the rapidly evolving requirements of high technology businesses. Güera will draw on her career background as a senior revenue assurance manager and consultant with experience of working for telcos and other big businesses in South Africa and the USA.
- Well-liked Kenyan consultant Joseph Nderitu will moderate a panel debate about managing the risks for mobile money. The panellists will include Douglas Jardine of Vodacom and Amit Mehta of MTN.
- Deutsche Telekom’s Gjurgjica ‘Gina’ Pesheva will present to the audience about her views on the strategies and policies that work best for revenue assurance.
- RAFM expert Marcus Bryant and Vahid Mazaheri Far of MTN Irancell will be amongst the panellists discussing the ways assurance functions must evolve to address the new and wider range of services being offered by modern telcos.
- Senior enterprise risk management consultant Lee Scargall will lead the discussion of how the implementation of risk management compares between Africa and Europe. Lee has detailed knowledge of telco operations on both continents, most recently as Director of Risk Management for Ooredoo Group.
- The conference will close with our ‘wise heads’ panel of experts, who will review the topics discussed over the two days, and give their views about the state of the industry. Eric Priezkalns of Commsrisk will moderate the debate, and the panellists will include Ken Dickenson, formerly the Network Fraud Manager at Telkom, and veteran consultants Ambrose Nwadike and Geoff Ibbett.
Location, Evening Entertainment and Hotels
The conference will be held at MTN’s main offices in Johannesburg, South Africa. The address is: 216, 14th Avenue, Fairland, Roodepoort 2195. A map is shown below.
A number of hotels are highlighted on the map above, but we recommend conference attendees take advantage of a 40 percent discount offered to RAG guests by the Fairway Hotel. RAG will also provide free transportation between the Fairway and the conference venue, as well as airport transfers to guests who stay at the Fairway. You can learn more details about how to book the discounted Fairway rooms from this page, and can request your airport transfer by completing this form.
As well as providing lunch and refreshments during each day, we intend to provide food and a networking opportunity each evening. The first evening’s social activities will involve a traditional South African braai held at MTN, whilst we will visit an outside restaurant on the second evening. Further details will be given when they have been confirmed.
The printable PDF brochure of RAG Johannesburg can be seen below, or you can download it from here.
Register to Attend
Anyone may attend our events for free, so long as they have a relevant interest and are a reputable professional. We reserve the right to limit the number of participants from each organisation so we have a balanced audience including a fair cross-section of telcos, vendors and consultants. Currently we limit attendance from non-sponsoring vendors and consultancies to two seats per event.
You can use the form below to register for RAG Johannesburg. The process is powered by Eventbrite, so you can also register via the Eventbrite website.