- Location, Evening Entertainment and Hotels
- Free Registration for Telcos and Regulators
- Attendance Options for Sponsors and Invited Guests
- About Our Host and Our Sponsors
Batelco, the principal telecommunications company in the Kingdom of Bahrain, will be host of RAG’s January 2019 conference. They will welcome RAG to their head offices for the first RAG conference in the Middle East.
As with all RAG conferences, telcos and regulators may attend for free.
New information will be regularly added to this page, so keep returning for updates. Alternatively, you can join RAG and receive our regular e-newsletters, which tell you when new speakers are added to the conference agenda, and also share news about global developments in telecoms risk and assurance.
The agenda will cover fraud management, revenue assurance, business assurance, enterprise risk management and security. Unlike other conferences we want to avoid promising speakers until we are confident they can take part, so we share the draft of our agendas online, which is updated each time a new speaker is confirmed. The following schedule shows the latest version of the agenda, or click this link to open it in a new window. Keep reading below for more details about the panels and presentations which have been lined up.
Day One: Wednesday 23rd January
- Mustafa Ali, Head of Business Assurance at Batelco and the host of the conference, will give a keynote presentation discussing how he and his team assure the risk faced by his operator.
- A panel of business leaders will explore whether there is a need to change the priorities and methods used by revenue assurance teams, in order to maintain their relevance as telco business models transform. The panellists will include Shiva Sharma Kotra, Director of Revenue Assurance, Fraud Management, Credit & Collections at Ooredoo Kuwait. The moderator of the panel will be experienced risk practitioner and RAG Committee member Lee Scargall.
- Award-winning consultant Geoff Ibbett will tell the audience about RAG’s Revenue and Cost Risk Catalogue, and how they can use it to identify previous undiscovered leakages and assess the benefits that would be gained by implementing new controls.
- John Haraburda, Principal Solutions Engineer Director at iconectiv, will share his insights into the detection of fraud.
- Elena Hlynovskaya, FM&RA Manager at Kcell, will talk about the methods used by her telco to successfully reduce grey traffic in Kazakhstan.
- RAG CEO and Commsrisk Editor Eric Priezkalns will be joined by experts to discuss the benefits of active testing to find leaks and frauds.
Day Two: Thursday 24th January
- Don Reinhart, CTO and COO at LATRO Services, will give a keynote presentation that draws on his extensive experience of fighting fraud in the Middle East and worldwide.
- Alain Kazan, Head of Fraud at Zain Kuwait, will be amongst the panellists discussing the latest trends in fraud management. The panel moderator will be Luke Taylor, a veteran of the anti-fraud industry.
- Can wholesale carriers do more to prevent fraud? That will the question discussed by a panel including Katia Gonzalez, who is both the Head of Fraud Prevention at major international carrier BICS and the long-serving Chair of the i3Forum Fraud Group.
- Senior enterprise risk management (ERM) executives will analyse how the role of ERM has grown in recent years and the ways they can take advantage of improvements in technology. The panellists will include Paul Masters, Head of Internal Audit & Risk at online retailer Ocado and formerly an executive at Etisalat and Ooredoo.
Location, Evening Entertainment and Hotels
The conference will take place at Batelco’s headquarters. The address is:
The audience will be seated in the auditorium at Batelco’s superb staff centre, which is used to provide leisure facilities for Batelco employees as well as holding meetings. Free lunch and refreshments will be provided on both days. The staff centre will also be our venue for the complimentary networking buffet on the first evening of the conference, to be provided alongside the staff swimming pool. The location of the networking meal for the second night will be announced in due course.
Attendees of RAG events are responsible for booking and paying for their own accommodation. Here are some local hotels recommended by staff at Batelco:
- Westin City Centre Bahrain, Sheikh Khalifa Bin Salman Highway, Al Seef, +973 17171000
- Le Méridien City Centre Bahrain, Sheikh Khalifa Bin Salman Highway, Al Seef, +973 17171000
- Mercure Grand Hotel Seef, Road 2827, Al Seef, +973 17584400
- ibis Seef Manama, Road 1010, Sanabis, +973 17386020
- Lagoona Beach Resort, Entrance 26, Avenue 63, Block 555, +973 16630000
We know that some telco managers like to see a printed brochure before they agree to approve the travel costs to attend our free conferences. This can make life difficult for RAG because our events involve lots of speakers, and new ones keep being added! However, we will add a downloadable and printable PDF brochure to this site in due course.
RAG always adds speakers right up to the week before the conference, so be sure to keep checking the agenda on this web page for the most accurate and comprehensive rundown of speakers.
Free Registration for Telcos and Regulators
Managers and staff employed by telcos or telecom regulators may participate in RAG Bahrain for free, so long as they register using the email address associated with their employer. Registrations are managed via Eventbrite; click the button below to begin. Please complete all the fields to register.
Attendance Options for Sponsors and Invited Guests
Sponsoring businesses may send their representatives to RAG Bahrain. RAG receives ongoing support from several market-leading suppliers, but there are also opportunities to sponsor individual conferences. If your business is interested in participating in RAG Bahrain then please make your initial query through our contact form.
RAG allocates a limited number of complimentary seats for freelance consultants, subject matter experts, and other industry leaders. To maintain a balanced audience, these seats will only be made available to specific named individuals. Invitations will be emailed in due course. If you wish to be added to the guest list you should contact a member of the RAG Committee, or else ask for advice from a relevant representative of Sprint’s host team or one of the conference sponsors.
One of the most important aspects of our conferences is what we call the ‘RAG Spirit’. We want attendees to feel relaxed and have the freedom to talk openly about the challenges they face. To protect the RAG Spirit, we reserve the right to decide who may attend on a case-by-case basis.
About Our Host and Sponsors
RAG is a not-for-profit enterprise, and telcos and regulators may attend our events for free, as do many specially invited experts. That means we rely on the generosity of the businesses that host our meetings and pay for everything from our web server to the coffee we serve attendees. We would like to thank the following businesses for the contributions that have made it possible to run RAG Bahrain 2019.
If you would like to host a future RAG event or if you want to learn about sponsorship opportunities then please get in touch. We will be glad to hear from you!