RAG returns to South Africa thanks to MTN Group, who will host our October conference at their impressive facilities in Johannesburg. The conference is scheduled for Tuesday 1st and Wednesday 2nd October. All talks will be given in English. Attendance will be free for telcos and regulators, but based on the long lines of attendees for RAG Johannesburg 2017 (pictured left) we expect to fill the venue, so book your place as soon as possible.
The conference will cover fraud, revenue assurance, cost management, nuisance calls, margin assurance, other kinds of business assurance, enterprise risk management and cybersecurity.
Unlike other conferences, we do not like to promise speakers until we are confident they will take part, and we do not like to promise presentation topics until we know which speaker will address them.
The draft agenda is updated each time a new speaker confirms they will participate. You can see the agenda below, or click here to open the document in a new window. Click on a speaker’s name to read their profile, or keep reading for more detail about the confirmed sessions.
Tuesday 1st October
- Conference chairman and award-winning RAFM leader Tony Sani will open the conference with his introductory remarks.
- Our Guest of Honour will be Kenyan RAFM expert Joseph Nderitu, who will give a keynote about ethics and integrity. Joseph has worked for a wide variety of telcos in Sub-Saharan Africa. He currently serves as the Head of RAFM for Vodacom Tanzania, which was subject to an unprecedented attack from the Tanzanian government earlier this year.
- Leading managers from our hosts, MTN, will tell the audience about the various ways they tackle risks. MTN’s panel will include Nixon Wampamba, General Manager for Revenue Assurance and Fraud Management.
- Well-known expert Jacqueline Fick will lead a discussion of recent trends in fraud management. Arnd Baranowski, CEO of Oculeus, will be amongst the panellists.
- Vodacom Mozambique has incorporated the location of mobile phones into their controls to identify and prevent fraud by dealers. Lourenço Francisco of Vodacom Mozambique’s RAFM team will give a presentation explaining how they did it.
- The theft of handsets and the swapping of SIMs are two of the most serious challenges faced by African fraud managers. Elgiva Sibisi and Faaiq Davids of MTN South Africa will talk about how they reduced both kinds of crime.
- Ernest Ketcha Ngassam, MTN Group General Manager for Information Security Architecture and Technical Excellence, will join the cybersecurity panel discussion. Experienced consultant and risk manager Vernon Kitay will be the panel moderater.
Wednesday 2nd October
- Malebu Makgalemela, ERM Executive at Telkom, is an inspiring business leader who splits her time between coaching young people and building a formidable reputation for managing risks at telcos like Telkom, Cell C and MTN in addition to her work with the public sector. Inspiration for risk management will be the theme of her keynote.
- Changing business models mean that revenue assurance also needs to adapt to survive. Award-winning consultant Geoff Ibbett of Symmetry Solutions will join the panel to discuss the development of RA.
- Julianne Mweheire, Director of Industry Affairs and Content at the Uganda Communications Commission, will draw on her considerable experience of the inter-operation of telcos for her presentation about the need to consider the consumer impact whilst addressing current challenges in the telecoms sector.
- The telecoms and financial sectors are coming together in ways that were previously unimaginable, leading to new kinds of risk and new compliance obligations. To discuss the implications we will have a panel of experts including Shekali Madi Shekali, RAFM Manager at Airtel Tanzania, and Nasia Seria, General Manager for Risk and Compliance at MTN’s Mobile Financial Services division.
- Industry veterans will review the major learning points of the conference during our closing Wise Heads panel. Eric Priezkalns of RAG and Commsrisk will moderate the session, and the wise heads will include former Telkom fraud manager Ken Dickenson.
Location, Evening Entertainment and Hotels
The conference will be held at MTN’s main offices in Johannesburg, South Africa. The address is: 216, 14th Avenue, Fairland, Roodepoort 2195. A map is shown below.
MTN will kindly allow the event to take place in their superb CoLab facility (pictured), with space for big presentations and breakout areas for smaller meetings to be held in parallel.
Attendees of RAG events are responsible for booking and paying for their own accommodation.
We recommend that everybody stay at The Fairway Hotel, on Setperk Road, Randpark (Randpark Golf Club), Johannesburg. RAG attendees staying at The Fairway will enjoy a significantly discounted single occupancy, per night rate of R1,210 for Premier rooms, R1,450 for Leisure rooms and R1,510 for Luxury rooms (plus service charges and taxes). The Fairway also offer four-bedroom villas which can be booked on an individual basis but, please note, you may be sharing with other RAG Joburg delegates unless you choose to book the entire villa. The per person per night rates are R1,270 for a room in a Garden Villa and R1,330 for a Golf Villa (plus service charges and taxes).
These rates also include breakfast. To obtain the discount, please book by contacting Reservations Supervisor Yvonne Ntsomotho at +27 11 478 8005 or at firstname.lastname@example.org, and quote reference 72738 when making the booking.
RAG conference attendees staying at The Fairway will benefit from free transportation between the hotel and conference venue in the morning and evening.
Here is a list of other local hotels. Any conference attendee choosing to stay at one of these hotels must make their own arrangements for transportation to MTN’s offices.
- The Radisson Gautrain, Rivonia Rd & West Street, Sandton, Johannesburg, +27 (0)11 286 1000
- DaVinci Hotel, Maude St & 5th St, Sandton, Johannesburg 2146, +27 (0)11 292 7000
- The Michelangelo Hotel, 135 West St, Sandton 2196, +27 (0)11 282 7000
- Southern Sun Montecasino, The Pivot, Montecasino Blvd, Johannesburg 2055, +27 (0)11 367 4367
As well as providing lunch and refreshments during each day, we will provide food, soft drinks and the opportunity to network each evening.
- On the evening of October 1st we will enjoy a braai inside the superb facilities of MTN.
- When the conference finishes on October 2nd, you are welcome to join us for free food and continuing conversation at La Rosa Mexican restaurant . The full address is: John Vorster Road, cnr Christiaan de Wet Road, Weltevreden Park, Roodepoort, 1709. RAG Joburg attendees will be transported after the conference by coach to the venue, and from the restaurant to The Fairway hotel once festivities conclude.
A printable PDF brochure will be made available here in due course. However, we always recommend that attendees check the agenda on this webpage for the most accurate and complete schedule of speakers.
Free Registration for Telcos and Regulators
Employees of telcos or telecom regulators may attend RAG Johannesburg for free, so long as they register using the email address associated with their place of work; click here to register.
Attendance Options for Sponsors, Academics and Invited Guests
Sponsoring businesses may send their representatives to RAG Johannesburg. If your business is interested in participating in RAG events then please make your initial query through our contact form.
RAG allocates a limited number of complimentary seats for freelance consultants, subject matter experts, academics engaged in relevant research, and other industry leaders. To maintain a balanced audience, these seats will only be made available to specific named individuals. Invitations will be emailed in due course. If you wish to be added to the guest list you should contact a member of the RAG Committee, or else ask the host or one of the conference sponsors to forward your request.
One of the most important aspects of our conferences is what we call the ‘RAG Spirit’. We want attendees to feel relaxed and have the freedom to talk openly about the challenges they face. To protect the RAG Spirit, we reserve the right to decide who may attend on a case-by-case basis.
About Our Host and Sponsors
RAG is a not-for-profit enterprise, and telcos and regulators may attend our events for free, as do many specially invited experts. That means we rely on the generosity of the businesses that host our meetings and pay for everything from our web server to the coffee we serve attendees. We would like to thank the following businesses for contributions that have made this conference possible.
Araxxe, FraudBuster, GBSD Technologies, LATRO Services, Oculeus, Six Degrees
4C Group, AdaptiveMobile Security, Mobileum, Trustonic
If you would like to host a future RAG event or if you want to learn about sponsorship opportunities then please get in touch. We will be glad to hear from you!